Keith Richards, Bonnnie Raitt and Los Lobos are among the well-known musicians who have lent their talents to a benefit album saluting founding NRBQ singer/bassist Joey Spampinato, who’s currently battling cancer.
As reported by the GratefulWeb page:
True North Records announces a June 25th release date for A Sweet Relief Tribute to Joey Spampinato, which features a lengthy list of friends and fans of the NRBQ founding member/bassist saluting him with 14 versions of their own previously unreleased takes of Spampinato-penned songs.
A Sweet Relief Tribute to Joey Spampinato is an inspired album recorded by an astounding group of musicians who are all generously donating their proceeds from these recordings to the Sweet Relief Musicians Fund to support Joey with his current health issues. The Sweet Relief Musicians Fund provides financial assistance to all types of career musicians and music industry workers who are struggling to make ends meet while facing illness, disability or age-related problems.
Joey Spampinato, a singer, songwriter and bassist, was co-founder of the legendary NRBQ, a rock quartet whose genre-defying music continues to inspire generations of music fans and fellow musicians. Many of those musicians answered the call from Joey’s wife Kami Lyle and producer Sheldon Gomberg when they contacted them about recording one of Joey’s songs for an album to help raise funds for Joey when it was revealed he was battling cancer.
A Sweet Relief Tribute to Joey Spampinato Track Listing:
- Al Anderson – “You Can’t Hide” – Original Release: 1980 on Tiddlywinks
- Los Lobos – “Every Boy, Every Girl” – Original Release: 1987 on God Bless Us All
- Deer Tick – “That I Get Back Home” – Original Release: 1980 on Tiddlywinks
- Ben Harper with Keith Richards, Charlie Musselwhite, Benmont Tench, Don Was, & Don Heffington – “Like a Locomotive” – Original Release: 1989 on Wild Weekend
- Peter Case – “Don’t Knock At My Door” – Original Release: 1972 on Scraps
- She & Him – “How Can I Make You Love Me” – Original Release: 1983 on Grooves in Orbit
- The Minus 5 – “Don’t She Look Good” – Original Release: 1979 on Kick Me Hard
- Steve Forbert – “Beverly” – Original Release: 1986 on Uncommon Denominators
- Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale – “How Will I Know” – Original Release: 2013 on Smiles
- Bonnie Raitt & NRBQ – “Green Lights” – Original Release: 1978 on At Yankee Stadium
- Robbie Fulks – “Chores” – Original Release: 1979 on Kick Me Hard
- Penn And Teller – “Plenty of Somethin’” – Original Release: 1997 on You’re Nice People You Are
- The Nils & Chris Spedding – “That’s Alright” Original Release: 1977 on All Hopped Up
- Kami Lyle with Joey – “First Crush”
Pre-order the album at: https://truenorthrecords.com/sweet-relief
For more information about Sweet Relief Musicians Fund visit https://www.sweetrelief.org
Support the page here!
Your donation helps to do what I do and keep updating the page daily. Thanks in advance!